Sunday, October 07, 2007

On Race and Slipper

a conversation i had with the colour technician earlier today:-
ct: deepavali is coming soon right?
me: yes, but no i don't celebrate it. i celebrate hari raya
ct: *looking embarrased*
ct: so you'll wear baju kurong ah?
me: no
ct: oh, so you're the modern one ah?
me: we don't practise wearing baju kurong in indonesia
ct: but you malay mah
me: i'm not
ct: indian muslim right? so malay lah
me: indian is my race. islam is my religion. like your race is chinese. don't know what is your religion though
ct: *looking confused* is there a chinese muslim?
me: yes, so are they malay?
ct: *smiling* so chinese muslim is the best one lor - celebrate hari raya and chinese new year
me: yeah
another person with a misconception that race = religion. i just hope he could understand the difference now. luckily he looks not bad so explaining this to him is not a 'streneous' task too.
on another note, i broke my slippers while crossing from paragon to ngee ann city. such an embarrassment to drag myself to the nearest shop and get a new pair.

No comments: