Sunday, April 09, 2006

* Thank You *
This post is inspired by the conversation I had with a friend earlier today

Few months ago I was known as a gym addict. I spent most of my time there not only because I am so into gym but also because I am bored. I don't have many friends in this country. I tried to stay in touch with my friends here but either they're married and busy with their own life or that they have their own circle of friends. I spent most of my weekend watching movie with my flatmate. She has quite a number of friends here and sometimes she's busy during the weekend that I only see her at night or only when we went for a movie. After joining one of the online forum, she has more activities that I felt more and more alone here. I have to admit that sometimes I do envy her for having lots of friends here and truth is I do wish I have few of my school friends here as well, friends that i can have dinner with, friends to go shopping or karaoke or anything else with. I kind of accept the fact that I don't have many friends here that I simply spend most of my time at the gym.
This changed when I braved myself meeting new people late last year. I actually asked my flatmate along but she refused to join that I went to the dinner alone. Almost pulled out when I was in front of the restaurant, I then told myself that it was simply dinner. If you felt awkward you can leave as nobody there knows you. I braved myself and decided to stay until dinner was over. After that dinner I approachh on of the girl and from there things start rolling.
I think the turning point was when I organised an event as suggested by one of the girl where one girl who joined this event kept contacting me and she is the person who is responsible for us having this small group - a group that I hold dear in my heart. I know that eventually this group too will be gone as everyone has its own plan which mean they too might be leaving this country sooner or later.
I really really have to thank E for organising the dinner I went to for the first time. There is no such activity happenning nowadays that E is banned and the other active person there is no longer active.
Had I not went to the dinner I guess I will still be spending my weekend solely at the gym or walking around city alone.

No comments: