Friday, October 06, 2006

do i not look like one?

few years back while working in batam :-
boss: we will see if we can implement singapore public holiday here
my indian friend: yes, because in india we also celebrate diwali
boss: okay, i will talk to my boss about this. so you, k, v, and n (me) will be celebrating deepavali
me: no, not me! i'm a muslim
boss: oh, i don't know that

3 years ago in the gym :-
me: my first time attending morning class during fasting month eh
my friend(mf): oh you mean you fast?
me: of course, what do you think?
mf: i thought you celebrate deepavali lah
me: huh? after years of working together in the same company you didn't know mah?
mf: ya lor, hehe sorry hor ..

2 years ago in the gym :-
me: i read an article that when you're fasting it's best not to do any weight exercise?
my favourite instructor: oh, you mean you're muslim?
me: of course, so is it okay for me to continue pump class?
mfi: you're a regular, shouldn't be a problem. oh i always thought you celebrate deepavali..

taxi ride (almost everytime to airport):-
me: hi uncle, you should know i'm going to the airport yah *from the luggage of course*
uncle: ya, so which terminal?
me: hold on, i check the ticket
uncle: so, going back to india?
me: no, uncle i'm indonesian lei

my taxi ride a month ago :-
me: oh no wonder it's jam, the deepavali lighting is on already
uncle: ya, this time everything is prepared very fast
me: ya, singapore got a lot of money ya to pay for the electricity
uncle: hah! all our money
uncle: so, have you prepare for the deepavali
me: oh, i celebrate hari raya, not deepavali. anyway fasting month hasn't start yet so don't want to think about hari raya
uncle: oh, so you are malay *looking at my face*. you don't look like malay lah
me: muslim doesn't mean have to be malay mah. i'm indian muslim
uncle: and you don't celebrate deepavali
me: deepavali is hindu celebration, not indian. same like hari raya is muslim celebration, not malay. i notice singaporean are always mixed between race and religion
uncle: aiyah, for us we know malay hari raya indian deepavali
me: ya lor - should change that assumption.

few minutes ago :-
project consultant(pc): i'm officially out by end of oct. please keep it to yourself ya
me: oh, okay - it's a pleasure working with you all this while
pc: btw, do you drink? social drinking i mean?
me: no, if i go out i always stick to my lovely diet coke
pc: oh, i'm going to have a happy hour this friday
me: no problem, i'll be there for the fun
pc: no worries, i'll provide some non-alcoholic beverages for you
me: don't trouble yourself, i'm fasting - i'll be there for the fun and picture taking (there is, right?)
pc: oh sorry, i don't know that you're fasting

so, people - yes i am indian and also a muslim and i observe fasting.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

A bit confused.. so are you an Indian or Indonesian? :) :)

*kidding ah Nis, jangan ngambek ya* :) :)

Anonymous said...

Dan cakep banget, Beibiiii... Hihihihihihi..... Gue jodoin mau gak? Hihihihihi....

Iseng bgt deh, gue. Maklum Beib, lagi puyeng mikirin sambel pecel. Buka di tempat gue yuk, besok?

Simply Baby said...

INDONESIAN dong - heart & soul
*nasionalis mode: on*

haha .. mbak hany ada2 aja
gimana sambel pecelnya ..

mau dong buka disana :P
tp besok nggak bisa :(
minggu depan kalau undangannya masih berlaku? :P

juwi said...

Hehehe...biar pusing dikit lah orang Singapur. Elu emang kasus khusus. Diajakin Rusdi buka puasa bareng, minggu depan :-p?
Udah Bab, mau aja dijodohin sama temennya mbak Hany, hehehe.

Simply Baby said...

dasar luh!
iya juw, besok rusdi ama temen gue kita buka bareng - kalau jadi :P