Sunday, November 04, 2007

Enlightment

i was lazing around trying to get my butt off bed and do some house chore when suddenly my memory went back to the taxi ride i had yesterday.
the driver is chinese but his name is md. imran wong @ stephen wong. i couldn't help myself but asked if he's a convert. he said yes and i asked why in hoping to get a reason other than marriage. and i wasn't disappointed.
my journey was indeed the best taxi ride i have ever had during my 8 years in this country. he told me the reason and then he started talking about how beautiful the religion is and his journey in discovering all that. i then started to bring up how terrorism affects all and he gave me a good explanation on all things that are happenning around us, quoting from the holy Qur'an or the prophet's (pbuh) saying every now and then.
i couldn't help myself but my eyes were full with tears upon listening to him while reflecting on myself. comfort. sad. embarrassed. ashamed. contented. happy. proud. a very mixed feelings.
he ain't a preacher but he tried to understand instead of just practising what he's doing. and 2 things that stuck in my mind until now is :-
  • the first thing he does when he wakes up and sees his wife is to greet her with salaam. same applies to his kids. and he believes that's the reason of his smooth 30 years of marriage. no arguments, no parents shouting at kids, no kids shouting at parents because they started their day with greeting each other with peace
  • he mentioned about the prophet's (pbuh) saying: "to obtain knowledge travel into china if necessary". everyone is focusing on the arab world when it comes to learning about islam. they forget about the muslim community, and a big one that is, in china. we never hear of any issues with the community there as they leave in peace. why can't we learn from them.
so uncle, i'm sure you won't be reading this :) but thanks for the enjoyable ride. a ride that makes me reflect on myself. God bless you and your family.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WOW! Gak bisa bilang apa2 kcuali pengen nangis juga, Baby. :)