Thursday, March 10, 2016

FLY

"you were born with wings, so why prefer to crawl through life?"  - rumi
Yesterday I had a chat with my medium boss - not big, not small but the medium one :)
He said that he believe I have a lot of potential, that I have a future ahead of me ... but I didn't sell myself well.
He said that although the team has high IQ, they're still lack of EQ and that he can see I have the level of maturity that is still lacking here. All I need is to sell myself.
He and the big boss trust I can do more, the big boss actually have high confidence in me but unfortunately I am not selling myself a lot .. so for now I am only seen as helping this and that, not leading not managing - just helping.
He told me that I have to initiate more, get the boss to assign more responsibilities to me instead of just helping this and that ...

I accepted all his criticism openly and admitted to myself that is true. In the beginning back in my previous job they said that they know I am good but they think I lack the confidence. Honestly if you give me things to do I will do it well - it's been proven again and again after back in the previous job; but this took awhile to happen because I didn't sell myself from the beginning.

So, do I want to repeat the same mistake? I thought of laying low on my 1st year and spend the time absorbing all the knowledge. But my medium boss thinks otherwise, he thinks I should start from now .. and this made me think hard yesterday. I do realised that the person who is at the same level as me are giving more responsibility, and that was because he was vocal since day 1. And I need to build relationship with my boss too .. I shall not make the same mistake happened twice!


So, I started today with requesting a meeting with my boss to discuss this. I will ask him what I was supposed to ask from day 1 - give me 3 things that you expect me to do; and please let me handle the reporting dashboard *this is something I have been wanting to say for awhile :)*

No comments: