Thursday, September 25, 2008

H is for Hectic Happy & Hooray

i had a hectic day at work today. i don't know but things that can go wrong went wrong everytime i'm going on long leave. i got a call when i was home, i got a call when i was about to climb the harbour bridge, i got a call when i was on a short trip across the island that i ended up bring my machine with me whenever i went home. but it all stopped few years ago with the system globalisation, hence no longer unix and stuff for moi. until today. i broke down three times mostly due to the panic i created myself.
started the day feeling a little disappointed when my 1/2 day leave was not granted. hp is also on long leave, hence i can understand my boss' reason. "you are important here". "sorry, i don't buy that anymore" was my answer which i'm sure surprised her. then came the problems. firstly it was our very own datafeed which was doubled for one of the period. this never happened before and it happened - of all the day - today. i was busy checking the caused of this when an email from our malaysia counterpart arrived requesting a complete set of data from the previous financial year. and i just archived the dB and moved it to the tape few days ago. just when i was in the middle of replying to the email to inform them the time needed to retrieve the data etc another email came stating the deadline is Oct 2nd. no way out, i have to do it now. well to be honest with hp on leave i have doubt with the other backup the minute she asked me how to restore dB in ms sql server. with only few hours left i ended up giving them structure text instead of xml - at least i gave them. i went back to investigating the data and decided to do a select distinct to fix the duplicate record issue. done with that i went back to doing my own personal development plan which is due end of this month. boss called asking me to check the email she just sent, an email that *complete* my day. another email from malaysia and this time around advising us that uploading to the central server can no longer be done from our local server but through malaysia's. all changes must be done by - t.o.m.o.r.r.o.w. crazy!! we tried calling them, sametime-ing them without avail. i was in the midst of listing down things we upload to global when again my boss came saying the duplicate record issue ended up with lesser records for other period. man! i need to leave early and all these happened. my backup? she was squatting next to me writing what she's supposed to check for hr application. i felt like screaming but i knew there wasn't any point there. finance called complaining about this new info because tomorrow is our month-end closing. boss asked me to come tomorrow i said no and she said she'd called me tonight if need be, to which i said i'd be switching my mobile. she knew then i wasn't in my best of mood since i never ever said that kinda words to her. she came to me afterwards saying the duplicate data can wait until i come back *too late for that* and that i don't stay late *yeah, right*. anyways, to cut my bitching short - i managed to settled the duplicate records, emailed malaysia asking details on things and advising my backup to do it manually until i return. i hope she can do it.
thanks to a friend who accompanied me clearing my head by walking down to orchard. i had a nice night to ease my tense and i can said i ended the day happily. though i complained about work here i know myself better - if i leave things unfixed i will never have a good night sleep feeling guilty. reaching my place, i took the lift closer to the guinea pigs to check on them. the lady was feeding them so i stopped and had a chat with her about the cuties. she told me that they belong to her friend who went overseas for study. she took it under her care and somehow *someone* complained to spca saying she's cruel to the animals (i didn't say that, eh). but, she said, at least now she always remember to feed them the minute she reaches home. a kind hearted woman, i felt a little bit guilty for telling on her but i had to do my part for the animals. at least she took it seriously now.
alrighty, enough talking. gotta start packing and paying my bills before leaving tomorrow. with the flight so early in the morning, i'll try hard not to sleep so that i don't miss the flight.

No comments: