Thursday, June 05, 2008

Food for The Soul

went to the muslim convert association earlier for some volunteering. nothing much actually, just helping them packing the magazine to be sent to the subscribers. its been awhile since i signed up as a volunteer and i never turn up; once when i said i would i texted again saying i couldn't just because i wasn't sure.
as to why i join, well, i just missed the activities we had back home during high school and uni time. yes i join my auntie to the sunday class but it's just different. i want some activities where i can interact with others as friends. i want a balance in my life, i have loads of social activities and i need one that touches my spiritual side. so when i called up this place asking if its okay for me who hasn't cover myself to sign up and got a green light, i did. it just took me quite some time to really walked in there; i'm so glad i did it today. everything was done casually, the imam - a convert himself - was there accompanying us, sharing interesting religious stories and even stories about himself. i feel very relax slotting the magazine in while listening to his stories with the background voices of people learning to read the Qur'an. there was one newly convert lady who asked loads of questions and he answered it without any hint of lecturing. i too learnt a lot of new things today.
before leaving, the imam told me to come anytime i want as they have loads of other activities there. i took the opportunity to ask about a teacher who can come for a private tutor. he said he'd get someone to do it free of charge. i was surprised and didn't know what to say. he handed me his name card, asking me to contact him. on the way home, it just hit me. he might think i'm a newly convert as well. hmmmm......
nevertheless, it was indeed a pleasurable night and i can't wait for the next round of volunteering. and i thank You God for opening my heart today.

No comments: